Welcome To Chocolate Musings where 'Chocolate Rules', and all your other cares and worries are left behind amid a flurry of shiny whisks, empty bowls and worn out spatulas.

I have decided to do a spin-off of my Food Blog "
Platter Chatter With Patricia" and devote it entirely to Chocloate, as I think it might have some appeal to all the chocolate lovers. Here you will find monthly features relating to all things about chocolate, and many fine chocolate recipes and chocolate culinary delights. There will be many videos for presentation as well as opportunities to Listen Live to Internet broadcasts about chocolate as well. I trust you will enjoy your visit and find some items of interest to you.

Now before this luscious chocolate truffle on the plate sitting beside me disappears into the mouth of my precious cat, I best lunge for the last bite.

Sweet Dreams!

Patricia





Saturday, August 18, 2007

Chocolate Nutmeg Soufflé with Spiked Cremé Anglaise

I have been sitting here contemplating making this recipe for 'Chocolate Nutmeg Soufflé with Spiked Cremé Anglaise, but unfortunately I do not have Godiva Chocolates available for the recipe so I will probably have to improvise with another brand. Actually I have not seen Godiva Chocolates here in New Zealand, not to say that they are not availablve here but just have never seen them in the specialty shops. I must admit they are my favorites and I would often buy Godiva Chocolate for gift giving during the Christmas Holidays when I lived in New York. I always especially loved the gorgeous gold boxes they would be in. Anyway my dear husband has a Birthday coming up this week, so I think I will make this Chocolate Soufflé as a little surprise. The following Soufflé is a Godiva Chocolatier recipe which is available also on the Godiva Website.
Chocolate Nutmeg Soufflé with Spiked Cremé Anglaise
Yield: 4 servingsDifficulty:
Advanced Preparation: 45 minutes plus baking time Special
Equipment: 1-quart soufflé dish

Spiked Crème Anglaise:
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 teaspoons Cognac
Chocolate Soufflé:
2 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, broken up
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon Cognac
4 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Make spiked crème anglaise:

Combine milk and heavy cream in heavy, medium saucepan and bring to gentle boil over medium heat. Remove pan from heat.
Whisk egg yolks with sugar in medium bowl until blended. Whisk some of cream mixture into egg yolks, mixing to blend. Return mixture to saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes or until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Remove pan from heat and immediately strain sauce through fine-mesh sieve into metal bowl set into larger bowl filled with iced water. Stir sauce for 10 to 15 minutes or until cool. Stir in nutmeg and Cognac. Remove bowl of crème anglaise from bowl of iced water. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to assemble. (Sauce may be served warm or cold over soufflé.)
Make chocolate soufflé:

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Butter 1-quart soufflé dish, leaving 1/4" near rim unbuttered. Dust with granulated sugar, tapping out excess.
Place chocolate in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium (50% power) 1 minute. Stir. Microwave 1 minute more or until chocolate softens. Stir until smooth. Cut butter into small pieces and whisk pieces, a few at a time, into chocolate. Whisk in nutmeg and Cognac.
Lightly whisk egg yolks in medium bowl. Gradually add warm chocolate and whisk until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract and set aside.
Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in medium bowl just until frothy, using electric mixer at medium speed. Gradually add sugar. Increase speed to high and beat until whites are stiff, but not dry. Fold half of beaten whites into chocolate and then fold in remaining egg whites.
Turn mixture into soufflé dish and smooth top. Bake 30 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Serve immediately with crème anglaise and sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good. Don't mind me copying this recipe :) In fact, I'll put you on my blog roll as well.

    Thanks!
    Wilhelm

    ReplyDelete
  2. DECADENT...have left all my worries and am now dreaming chocolate!!! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete